01 August, 2005

March of the Penguins

March of the Penguins

Since the week I saw War of the Worlds and Fantastic Four, I've been on a break from seeing movies in the theatre. I think it was the combination of the mediocre movies I'd been seeing, and the prospect of more mediocre movies in the future that kept me away. But, it was Sunday afternoon, and I started to miss my old friend, the movie theatre: it's sub-zero temperatures, the sickening aroma of fake buttered popcorn and floors sticky with spilled soda. I just couldn't stay away. Luckily for me there was actually a movie playing that I'd been wanting to see- March of the Penguins.

I'd seen a preview for March a month or so ago, and it looked absolutely adorable. I must admit I'm a sucker for nature/animal documentaries, especially when they involve an animal as cute and cuddly as penguins, and March did not disappoint. It was filmed by a French documentarian, Luc Jacquet, and is the story of a year in the life of an Emperor Penguin in Antartica. The movie follows the 70 mile trek the penguins make to a common mating ground, and the subsequent search for a mate, laying of an egg, trek for food, hatching of the egg and the hatchlings first swim. All this amidst the brutally harsh winter storms. The film is beautifully shot with amazing footage of the frozen Antartic. The penguins' story is endearing and the shots of these animals are gorgeous. My only complaint was that since the film is rated G it was filled with parents and their kids. I'm not sure if it's being marketed as a kids film, but I honestly think it's way too slow/boring for kids, and will result in what I experienced: kids and parents talking through out the entire film. A bit annoying and distracting, but otherwise a great experience. I'd give this film 3.5 stars.

With my relationship with my local movie theatre temporarily redeemed I cross off #283: see March of the Penguins.

No comments: