04 August, 2005

Exercise, Part Two

Exercise

I am sure that you are all eagerly anticipating an exercise update. Have I kept up with my routine? Have I continued to find motivation? I am happy to report that yes, I have kept up my routine! Don't worry, I am as shocked as you are. I'm quite sure that fifteen days of working out is some sort of record for me. Equivalent to an Olympic medal or a Nobel Peace Prize. Truly. It's astonishing. And what's more astonishing is that I'm actually beginning to enjoy myself.

As you recall, it began innocently enough on July 20th after feeling like the ultimate slug in the company of a friend who is a workout maven. One of those rare individuals (are they so rare afterall?) who enjoys working out. It seemed that everywhere I turned people were beginning sentences with 'When I was at the gym...' or 'After I workout...'. With every mention of the words 'workout' or 'gym' I could feel myself slowly taking on more slug-like characteristics. I never used those words; they were no more a part of my vocabulary than 'lima bean' or 'dirty diaper'. I couldn't take it anymore. I had to do something. So I worked out. And then I wrote about it. Somehow announcing my intentions on the blog solidified them and made me feel I'd have to be accountable to someone if I quit.

But I haven't quit. Quite the opposite. Each day I've looked forward to working out. (I have to mention this is likely due in large part to the fact that I usually workout when I should be working. Anything to avoid work, that's my motto.) It's been a non-negotiable part of my day. I haven't considered not doing it. And now I wonder what made it such a challenge in the first place? I haven't found that 'runner's high' yet, but I'm feeling good. Whether it's the endorphins or the sense of accomplishment of doing something I've never really done before, I'm not sure. Of course, it's not all roses. There are challenges. In the last week or so I've been able to begin interspersing my treadmill walking with jogging (this was an absolute revelation for me!). My lungs are able to handle the exertion, but my legs tire quickly and turn from mere legs into pillars of lead. With their sudden unbearable weight they beg me to slow down to a comfortable walk for a few minutes in order to regain their original mass. And just when they are getting comfortable, I jolt them to a jogging pace again. This means at the end of thirty minutes they are dead tired, and climbing the three flights of stairs back up to my apartment is a slow and painful agony. But I'm not discouraged. A few swings of water and a banana later and the pain is a fairly distant memory.

So where do I go from here? I keep at it! At the suggestion of a friend I may try to alter my routine a bit, which is made more difficult by the oppressive Arizona summer, but I'm sure I can come up with something. I may also incorporate some weight training with the cardio. I've been doing a bit of free weights for my arms, but I'm thinking doing legs may help build up my jogging endurance. I don't want to count my chickens quite yet, but I have to say I'm pleased. I still consider #14 on my list a work in progress, but exercise and I have gotten to know each other a little more with each passing day, and we're becoming fast friends.

No comments: