31 August, 2005

House Guest

lily

I've had a visitor in my home the last few days. She's been as pleasant as could be. She was quiet and unobtrusive, yet she brought life and personality to my living quarters. She asked for very little from me, just a bit of water when she was thirsty, a nice sponge bath every few days and some sun to warm up to. In return she gave me company, fresher air and a nice spot of color. My guest's name was Lily, and she is none other than a peace lily!

A friend of mine went out of town for a few days and asked if I would plant-sit his precious Lily. Having no plant life in my apartment, I happily agreed. I quickly realized that having vegetation in your life is something you don't realize you need when you don't have it. But once you do, it becomes inconceivable how you could have lived without it. As a friend who visited my apartment aptly pointed out, 'I didn't realize you needed plants in here until I saw Lily, but now that I see her in here, you need some greenery!'. I concurred.

In the days that have followed, I've been contemplating my options. One thing I'd like to try is a 'roof-top garden' on my balcony, complete with window boxes, some hanging planters and a tree or two. I'd also like to try an herb cutting garden. I think I'll need to wait a few weeks for the temperatures to drop, but in the meantime I have time to shop and plot and dream of my little green oasis. To temporarily satiate my newly acquired green thumb I bought my first plant tonight- a fragrant little basil plant. I've yet to name her, but I'm looking forward to tending to her and watching her grow. And eating her. Pesto, anyone? With that, I cross of #273 on my list: bring a bit of green into my life.

No comments: