27 June, 2005

Mr. & Mrs. Boring


Mr & Mrs Boring, originally uploaded by carriemcm.

Being a woman and having a pulse pretty much means I think Brad Pitt is uber good looking. It also pretty much means I'll see whatever crap movie he's in, which is what I did today.

Maybe saying Mr. & Mrs. Smith is a crap movie is a bit harsh, but I thought it had some pretty huge flaws. The first being character development. You leave the movie hardly knowing the characters at all. Is that part of the whole 'we're spies and we're married and we don't even know each other' aspect of the movie? Cause if it is, that was idiotic. We're the audience, we're supposed to know these characters. And speaking of knowing the characters, that brings me to my second issue with the movie: story development. In a word, it sucked. The story was so unclear- are they spies, are they assassins, are they good guys, are they bad guys, who is Vince Vaughn's character, and more importantly, what the hell is Adam Brody doing in this movie?! All questions that deserve answers, and none of which are answered through the course of the movie. Now, maybe I should take a second to pause and remind you of the previously mentioned adoration of Brad Pitt. It's entirely possible that I was so enraptured with his presence on screen that I missed out on the finer (and broader!) details of the story, and for the sake of the movie let's hope this is true.

But, that doesn't explain my third issue with this movie- bad acting. Brad Pitt may not be the best actor in Hollywood, but he's done a good job in some great movies: Kalifornia, Seven, Fight Club, Snatch and Ocean's Eleven, just to name a few. I was trying to think if I'd ever seen an Angelina Jolie movie, and the only one I could think of is Gone in 60 Seconds, which hardly qualifies as an Angelina Jolie movie, but merely a movie she was in. So, I have nothing to compare her acting to. Is she normally a good actress, or is she just a nice pair of legs and great tits? I'm not sure. But in this movie, I'd say that's all she was. Between the two of them, I was so bored. It was as if the director said 'in the majority of the movie you're going to act disinterested in each other' and they took it to heart, resulting in flat acting and an audience who was totally disinterested in them. Where is this 'chemistry' everyone is buzzing about? I must have missed it.

For me, the best part of the movie came during a scene where John (Brad Pitt) shows up at Jane's (Angelina Jolie's) office. Jane flies off on a zip cable between two skyscrapers. They'd both had the chance to kill each other but John hesitated and Jane ran. From across the building John yells 'Chickenshit!'. To which Jane yells 'Pussy!'. To which the 6 year-old kid across the aisle from me says 'She's a pussy!'. 'Shhhhh', his mom said, but too late, we all heard it and we all cracked up. And this was the best part of the movie.

Out of five I'd have to give this movie two and a half stars. Brad & Angelina should be grateful Brad's marriage broke up because I think that's why people are going to see this movie- to check on the 'chemistry' between them (okay, how pathetic is that?!). At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't say people are going to see it because it's good.

So with a Brad Pitt craving satiated and a good movie craving still in the lurch I cross off #145: see Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

3 comments:

Sophie said...

Mmm Brad Pitt. I've yet to see the Smith movie but I'm sure to rent it at some point. Bad movie or not, im sure it won't be wasted 4 dollars!

Anonymous said...

It was bad!

Anonymous said...

It was a long, way-too-goodlooking allegory on marriage. That's my take. I think the movie is meant to be tongue-in-cheek - not believable as an action movie, and certainly the two of them are not believable as spies. But viewed purely as a satirical take on marriage and relationships, the movie was rather enjoyable.