26 June, 2005

Orzo + Fruit = ?


Orzo + Fruit = ?, originally uploaded by carriemcm.

I've had a box of orzo in my pantry for about a year now. When I saw it on the shelf at the grocery I couldn't resist buying it- a tiny box of even tinier pasta- it was so cute! But, I had no idea what to do with it. I'd never made orzo, except in the form of my favorite Lipton Rice Sides mushroom packet with rice and orzo. So to the back of my pantry it went never to see the light of day until...

Last weekend in a fortuitous conversation with my sister she told me about a new favorite recipe she was making for fruit salad featuring an unusual ingredient, Orzo! I was instantly excited to try it because I love fruit salad, and I already had the star ingredient. But, I had none of the other ingredients, and we all know of my recent issue with going to the grocery in a timely manner. With each passing day I dreamt about the fruit salad: how delicious it would be, and how great to have finally found a use for my beloved orzo!

Last night I began part one of the fruit salad recipe since it required an overnight chilling in the refrigerator. I had high hopes, and was actually a little ticked that I couldn't eat it right away. But, I was patient. This morning I completed part two of the recipe, and still, I had to wait for it to chill another 2-3 hours. Finally after an hour I was fed up of waiting and dug in. But to my surprise and disappointment, I didn't like it! I couldn't identify what it was I didn't like, but there was a flavor I just wasn't crazy about. All day I moped over the fruit salad- what was I going to do with the vat of it in my fridge, how could I not like it since I liked each ingredient individually? I mourned the disappointment and started plotting how to pawn it off on friends. Then I decided to give it another try. Low and behold, I liked it much better this time. I didn't love it, but I think the flavors had more time to mellow and get to know each other a little better, and it resulted in a pretty interesting dish. So while this won't be my go-to recipe for orzo, I will keep it in mind. And for all my friends who are nearby, look out- a tupperware full of fruit salad will be coming your way!

In case I've whet your appetite with all this orzo talk, following is the recipe. And caution, I halved the recipe and it still made a huge quantity. Those orzo may be tiny, but they soak up liquid like a sponge and become quite plump little fellows.

Rosa Marina Fruit Salad

1lb box orzo 2 large cans crushed pineapple 2 large cans mandarin oranges 2 beaten eggs 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 tbsp flour 1 tsp lemon juice 1 large tub cool whip

Cook & drain orzo. Combine eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, and the juice from the canned fruit in a saucepan. Heat until boiling. Combine with the orzo and refrigerate overnight. Next day, mix in fruit and coolwhip. Refrigerate another 2-3 hours (or longer, that made a huge difference to me).

I will continue looking but for now I cross off #289: find a use for those adorable boxes of orzo.

UPDATE 6/28/05:
The salad is getting better each day, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. A few suggestions though, if you're going to try the recipe: Unless you really love canned pineapple, you may want to try fresh pineapple and supplement some pineapple juice for the liquid portion of the recipe. Or, I can see it being really yummy with no pineapple and double the amount of mandarin oranges. Or maybe a variety of fresh fruit and some fruit juice for the liquid. Mix and match, and let me know how it works out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA i still think youre crazy! that stuff is good!!! im gonna make somemore later this week!!! love ya