22 June, 2005

Prayer


Prayer, originally uploaded by carriemcm.

It came to me with good intentions. The best of intentions, actually. And love. Lots of love. It's not the sender I blame; they were just passing on a message, and clearing some clutter off the kitchen table. No, it's the writer. The anonymous writer. Who could this person be? What sort of life and experiences have they had? But most importantly, what were they thinking when they composed 'A Prayer For Those Who Live Alone'?!

At first, it was amusing. Then, insulting. Then assaulting. Who does this guy (likely) think he is?! Has he ever lived alone? If so, what was so terrible about the experience that it required writing a prayer for those in the situation? An informal poll conducted amongst some of my (single) girlfriends revealed a consensus that the prayer should have been written for those that live with someone, not those living alone (surprising?), for their job is far more difficult. There are challenges to both living situations, and as a person who has lived both, I can assure you that living alone isn't a scary situation in need of a special prayer. It's freedom. It's liberation. Or is this just me trying to justify my lonely existence?! Maybe. So in the end, I suppose I will just take the prayer in the spirit it was sent to me: that it's nice to know God is looking out for me (no matter what my living situation may be!).

And so without further ado, I present the (highly anticipated, I'm sure) Prayer For Those Who Live Alone, author unknown...

I live alone, dear Lord, stay by my side. In all my daily needs, be Thou my guide. Grant me good health, for that indeed, I pray, to carry on my work from day to day. Keep pure my mind, my thoughts, my every deed. Let me be kind, unselfish in my neighbor's need. Spare me from fire, from flood, malicious tongues. From thieves, from fear, and evil ones. If sickness or accident befall, then humbly, Lord I pray, hear Thou my call. And when I'm feeling low or in despair, lift up my heart and help me in prayer. I live alone, dear Lord, yet have no fear, because I feel Your presence ever near. Amen

With head bowed and hands clasped in prayer, I cross #167 off my list: debunk the myth living alone requires a special prayer.

No comments: