23 June, 2005

Oasis


Oasis, originally uploaded by carriemcm.

Thanks to the clever Play Count feature in itunes I discovered today that I've listened to the latest Oasis album, Don't Believe the Truth, 30 times. I usually keep the play count feature hidden. This is because I like to pretend that I'm not an obsessed music fan, and thus I hide the evidence from myself. But every now and then curiosity gets the best of me, and I peek at the play count, or worse, at my top 25 most played songs.

Not surprisingly, at 30 plays the Oasis album is nearing the top of my top 25 most played. But, the 30 plays is only counting the times I've played it on my computer. Add to that the times I played it on my ipod, in my car, and on my stereo, and I'd say you could conservatively add 15 more plays. But maybe I should put this in context. The album was officially released on May 31, 2005. Twenty-three days ago. Now that's not to say May 31st is the day I got my music-grubbing hands on it. I have to admit it was in my possession a few weeks prior. So, I'd say that I'm averaging a play a day, and let me assure you, I see no end in sight.

With each play I love this album more and more. You couldn't ask for more from an album: a diverse collection of songs each with something unique to offer. There are love songs and fast rockers and flag waving anthems. Their beauty is in their ability to take you back to the Oasis that you knew and loved. For me it's like 1995 all over again: Oasis were kicking ass and taking names. Ten years later they've matured. They may give you a sidelong glare instead of kicking your ass. But their music is still going to kick your ass, in a good way, of course.

So if you've been living under a rock the past twenty-three days and haven't heard this album, I suggest you get it asap. You won't be disappointed. And if you are, well what do you know?! As for me, I've got my headphones on and am working on crossing off #47: listen to the new Oasis album another 30 times.

No comments: